Author Email: M.Baghbani@yahoo.com
Introduction: Since trauma is a threatening factor against the human beings, 10000 people are annually killed in the accident. 10 percent of those incidents belong to children. The aim of this study is to examine the epidemiologic trauma pattern among the children ranging in age from1 to 15 years old. Methodology: This study was a cross-sectional research which dealt with ex-post facto analysis and it was conducted through examine the census of accidents among 1994 files of children with trauma. The sample was between 1 to 15 years old they referred to ER since they had accidents that caused trauma. Their personal data like gender, age, types of trauma and the place of incidents were recorded. Then the anatomy of trauma and the death toll of the incidents were registered through the checklist. The collected data were calculated through SPSS, version.21 and the descriptive (i.e., frequency, percentage, tables and figures) and inferential (i.e., Chi-square and spearman) statistics. Results: Finding showed that among 1994 cases of trauma, there were 65.7 percent males and 43.3 percent female cases. Most trauma incidents were happened in the streets or home and the least ones were at schools. The highest frequency of happenings was car accident and falling down. The most anatomic place of body was the multiple trauma and limbs. The most frequent trauma was seen in the head and neck and the least one was recorded in the chest. Among all the patients, 98.1 percent were discharged in the hospital and 1.9 percent died. Conclusion: Since can accident and falling down were the most frequent incidents causing trauma and the places like streets and houses were frequent, training the parents on how to be careful in providing the children with safe cars and secure environments can decrease trauma in children.
Trauma is a kind of damage which directly and indirectly affects the baby in an intentional or unintentional modes. This may include traffic, toxic, falling down, drawing traumas (Amani, 2009). Trauma goes back to the history of human beings from the past to the present and it causes the damage or death of many children and young people in developed and industrial countries (Zargar, 2002). Nowadays, trauma is one of the problems in the medical practice and it causes many social and financial problems (Kiakejori, 2012). The problems of trauma in the society threaten the health of people in that society (Rahmani, 2013). It is the most epidemic cause of death among the people between the age ranges of 1 to 44. It is also in the third rank of causes of death without considering the causes of death (Arhamidolatabadi, 2016; Davoodabadi, 2011). Truman is one of the causes of losing the potential time of life in developing countries regarding the death of the young people (Ramooz, 2014). In Iran, trauma is in the second rank of death after cardiovascular diseases (Hassanzadeh, 2015). It is estimated that there are 1.5 million people who die annually because of trauma and millions of people should be hospitalized in a long period of time (Haghinejad, 2015). In the US, there are 160000 deaths and 50000 people are disabled due to the causes of trauma (Yaghobi, 2010; Amani, 2009). The examining of trauma which causes death in every 100000 people in the world has shown that there are 99 people in the world and 58 people in Iran (Zamani, 2014). According to World Health Organization (WHO), the death toll will be reaching to 40 percent up to 2030 (Noroozinia, 2016). According to WHO, there are 78 million people who need medical care regarding the problems of trauma. Seven percent of all deaths refer to this matter in the
world. Among the trauma victims, children are the frequent ones (Souri, 2002). In other words, children are very susceptible to trauma making death (Abdoli, 2014). Children are big part of the population in the country and they are the victims of this happening which causes them to refer to the ER. Moreover, trauma is the causes of their death or disability between the age of 1 to 14 (Arhamidolatabadi, 2016; Avarello, 2007; Meamarzade, 2011). Trauma is the cause of more than 10000 deaths and 10 present of hospitalized children in the world (Cooper, 1993; Meamarzade, 2011). The identification of trauma and the happening in order to prevent and control of its damages is important (Bijani, 2013). Since providing the causes of trauma can help study of trauma in our country, the examining of trauma incidents may prevent these happenings (Agran, 1998; Arhamidolatabadi, 2016; Forouzanfar, 2014; Javid, 2006; Safari, 2014). Thus the present study examined the epidemic pattern of trauma in the children who referred to Abadan and Khoramshar hospitals from 2011 to 2017 in Iran.
- Abdoli A, Ravari A, Heidari Sh. Study of traumatic accidents the schools of Rafsanjan in 2010 to 2011: A short report. Journal of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences 2014; 13(7):642-647.
- Agran PF, Winn DG, Anderson CL, Del Valle C. Family, social, and cultural factors in pedestrian injuries among Hispanic children. Injury Prevention 1998; 4(3):188-93.
- Amani F, HabibzadehSh, Rostam Epidemiological study of Traumatic Patients Referring to Fatemi Hospital of Ardabil, 2007-2008. Journal of Ardabil University of Medical Sciences 2009; 9(1):13-22.
- Arhamidolatabadi A, Ebrahimzadeh N, Amini A, Shojaei M, Amiri M. Epidemiology of upper extremity trauma in patients visiting the emergency department; a brief report. Journal Iranian Emergency Medicine. 2016; 3(1):34-39. Arhamidolatabadi A ,Mohseninia N, Amiri M, Motamed H, Halimiasl AA. Pediatric trauma patient in Imam Hussein emergency department. Iranian Journal of Emergency Medicine 2016; 3)1(:4-8.
- Avarello JT, Cantor RM, Pediatric majorTrauma; an approach to evaluation and Management. Emerg Med Clin North Am 2007; 25(3): 803-36.
- Bijani M, Nikrooz L, Naghizadeh MM, Tavakol Z. The incidence of chest trauma in patients refers to Vali-Asr hospital of Fasa: Epidemiology of chest trauma. Journal of Fasa University of Medical Sciences 2013; 3(3):285-288.
- Cooper A, Barlow B, Discala C, String D, RayK, Mottley L. Efficacy of pediatric trauma care: Results of a population-based study. J Pediatr Surg 1993; 28(3): 299-303.
- Crawford R. Trauma Adult: Experience in North East Scotland. BJS 1991; 11(1):9-16.
- Davoodabadi A, Yazdani A, Sayyah M ,Mirzadeh Javaheri M. Trauma epidemiology and its consequences in victims referred to the Kashan trauma center during 2007-2008. Journal of Kashan University of Medical Sciences 2011; 14)5(:500-505.
- Forouzanfar MM, Safari S, Niazazari M, Baratloo A, Hashemi B, Hatamabadi H.R. Clinical decision rule to prevent unnecessary chest X‐ray in patients with blunt multiple traumas. Emergency Medicine Australasia. 2014; 26(6):561-6.
- Haghinejad M, Hadavi M, Esmaeilzadeh Sh. Assessment of Epidemiology of traumatic brain injuries and its consequences in Rafsanjan : A descriptive study. Journal of Community Health 2015; 9(3):37-46.
- Hassanzadeh M, Frhoudinejad A, Yousefzadeh Sh. Using data mining techniques to extract clinical disorders affecting morality in trauma patients. Journal of Gilan University of Medical Sciences 2015; 24(95):52-62.
- Javid M, Shahcheraghi Gh, Lahiji F, Ahmadi A, Farhadi A, Akasheh Gh.A. Road Traffic Injuries in Children. Iranian Journal of Orthopedic Surgery 2006; 4(3): 1-6.
- Kay RM, Skaggs DL. Pediatric Poly trauma management. J PediatrOrthop 2006; 26(2): 268-77.
- Kiakejori K, Latifi A, Monadi M,Sheikhzadeh M, Khafri S. Evaluation of the frequency and type of damage to the ear, nose and throat in patients referring from forensic medical centers to Ayatollah Rouhani hospital in Babol, Iran in 2012. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences 2015; 17(8):68-72.
- Knudson MM, Shagoury C, Lewis FR. Can Adult surgeon care for injured children? J Trauma 1992; 32(6):729-737.
- Letts M, Davidson D, Lapner P. Multiple trauma in children predicting out come and long-term results. Can J Surg2002; 445: 126-31.
- Mazurek AJ. Epidemiology of pediatric injury. Journal of accident and emergency medicine 1994; 11(1):9-16.
- Mc Nicholl BP, Fisher RB, Rearaden GH. Transatlantic perspective of trauma systems. BJS 1993; 8(80): 985-987.
- Meamarzade M, Hosseinpour M ,Sanjari N, Karimi Z.A study of trauma epidemiology in children referred to Isfahan Al-Zahra hospital during 2004-7(Feyz) Journal of Kashan university of medical sciences 2011; 14)5(:489-493.
- Noroozinia R, Ahmadi M, Seidabadi M. Assessing the level of knowledge and clinical skills of medical emergencies students Exposure to trauma. Emergency Medicine Journal.2016; 3(2):73-77.
- Osmond MH, Brennan-Barnes M, Shephard AL. A 4-year review of severe pediatric trauma in eastern Ontario: A descriptive analysis. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2002; 52(1):8-12.
- Rahmani R , Mousavi Tabar SY, Karamali M. Epidemiology of trauma in new soldiers during a military training period in one Sepaah training camp, 2012.Nursing and Physician within War 2013; 19-20:5-8.
- Ramooz A, Hosseini M, Shams Vahdati S. Epidemiology of head and neck fractures caused by motorcycle accident. Iranian Emergency Medicine Journal 2014; 3:23-27.
- Rutledge R, Fakhry S, Rutherford E, Muakkassa F, Meyer A. Comparison of APACHE II, Trauma Score, and injury severity score as predictors of outcome in critically injured trauma patients. Am J Surg 1993; 166(3):244-7.
- Safari S, Baratloo A, Negida AS, Taheri MS, Hashemi B, Selkisari SH. Comparing the Interpretation of Traumatic Chest X-Ray by Emergency Medicine Specialists and Radiologists. Archives of Trauma Research. 2014; 3(4): e22189.
- Souri H. An epidemiological study of children referred to the hospital in Ahvaz incidents. Medical Scientific Journal 2002; (32): 1-11.
294 total views, 1 views today